When you’re running a program that literally requires students to work 90 to 100 hours per week, you better be there to support them on the journey. Acton is not for the faint of heart, and our students don’t come here expecting to be coddled. What they do expect is a deeply transformational experience that delivers on our three promises: we’ll teach them how to learn, how to make money, and how to live a life of meaning.
It’s nearly impossible to achieve anything notable alone. Mentors, teammates, coaches, and even competitors are essential, and we structure Acton so our students get a mix of them all. Our staff also takes a super personal approach with each of our students, which has a lot to do with us winning Princeton Review’s ranking as #1 Best Administered Program for the second year in a row.
Key areas of focus that help us overdeliver:
- We know each student personally, what’s going on in their family, what they’re hoping to do after Acton, their kid’s names, birthdays, parents etc.
- We respond day and night. Acton doesn’t live in 9-5 hours. When our students need help, we respond.
- We listen to our students. Each cohort has a President and VP, and they regularly meet with the CEO to give feedback, address problems, suggest improvements, and act as a liaison to the student body. We give our students a VOICE!
- We hold teacher meetings to discuss our student’s needs, their performance in the classroom, and how we can more effectively serve them.
- We give students tools that help them better understand who they are, what they’re good at, and how they can best position themselves for success (Birkman, Strengths Finder, and Objective Management Sales Assessment run by a Sandler sales group in Austin).
- We create off-campus experiences to complement what they’re learning in the classroom (ex. Visiting Toyota’s manufacturing plant in San Antonio to see “operations” in real life).
There’s no silver bullet in taking care of people. What we know is that we’re here to be stewards to our students, who are on a journey to discover their innate gifts, and align them with their passions in a way that significantly contributes to the world.
We’re humbled to have won the #1 Best Administered Program award again, and thankful our students see the hard work and attention we put into making their Acton experience truly transformational.